Dr. Stergomena Lawrence Tax, a national of the United Republic of Tanzania, is the sixth Executive Secretary, and first female Executive Secretary, of the Southern African Development Community (SADC), following her appointment in August 2013.
Dr. Tax has led and participated in numerous regional integration, bilateral, as well as multilateral processes, programmes and negotiations, and has contributed to the development and implementation of continental and global developmental agendas. In the area of peace and security, she has coordinated and led a number of SADC conflict prevention, resolution and mediation processes, as well as democracy consolidation processes.
She has expertise and experience in Regional Integration (socio-economic; politics, peace and security); Trade and Industrial Development; Finance; Investment and Private Sector Development. Dr. Tax has successfully led the development and implementation of SADC blueprints.
- Doctoral Phil. International Developments, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan, April 1997 – 2002;
- M.Phil. Policy Management and Development Economics, University of Tsukuba, Tshukuba, Japan, April 1995 – March 1997;
- Degree in Bachelor of Commerce (Finance), University of Dar es Salaam, July,1987, March, 1991;
- Diploma in Business Administration, 1984 – 1985.
- Executive Secretary; Southern African Development Community (SADC), September 2013 to-date
- Permanent Secretary; Ministry of East African Cooperation, November 2008 to August, 2013;
- Permanent Secretary; Ministry of Trade, Industry and Marketing, December 2006 to November 2008;
- Deputy Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Planning, Economy and Empowerment, January 2006 to November 2007;
- Chief Executive Officer, in the President’s Office, Planning and Privatization, the Better Regulation Unit – The Business Environment Strengthening Programme for Tanzania (BEST), October 2004 to May 2006;
- Coordinator Commissioned Studies, Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF), May 2002 – October 2004;
- Ministry of Finance, Tanzania, May 1991 – April 2002; Finance Management Officer 1991-92; Officer-in-charge for World Bank Desk, 1993; Officer-in-charge for Arab Funds – i.e. Kuwait Fund, Saudi Funds, OPEC Funds, 1994; Officer-in- charge of SADC and UNDP Desks, 1995.